London, United Kingdom
Head of Technology / Chief Technology Officer
We are seeking an innovative and strategic Head of Technology / Chief Technology Officer (CTO) to lead the technology initiatives and innovation efforts of Hypervision Surgical (HVS). You will be responsible for driving the design, development and implementation of cutting-edge technologies, ensuring the company remains at the forefront of surgical vision. You will work closely with the CEO and other members of the executive team to develop and implement strategies that will ensure the company’s continued growth and success. This position offers an exciting opportunity for a visionary leader with a strong technical background and a passion for advancing surgical solutions on a global scale.
- Develop and execute the technology vision and strategy for the company, in alignment with the overall business goals and market trends in surgical vision.
- Lead a multidisciplinary team of technology professionals and scientists, including software engineers, image scientists, data scientists, as well as optics and system engineers, fostering a culture of inclusion, innovation, collaboration, and technical excellence.
- Drive the development and implementation of technological solutions and platforms, leveraging emerging technologies, such as artificial intelligence, computational biophotonics, imaging sensor technologies, optoelectronics, optical systems, computer vision, edge-to-cloud computing, and data analytics, to enhance surgical vision products and services.
- Manage intellectual property (IP) strategies, including patent filings and protection, to safeguard and enhance the company’s technology portfolio.
- Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams, including production, supply chain, clinical, and regulatory affairs, to ensure the successful integration of technology into product development and commercialization processes.
- Drive technology transfer into production, taking into account lean development concepts and continuous improvement objectives.
- Identify and evaluate technology trends and advancements in the surgical vision field, conducting research and feasibility studies to assess their potential impact and application to the company’s products and services.
- Oversee the selection and adoption of appropriate technology platforms, tools, and methodologies, ensuring scalability, security, and reliability of technology infrastructure.
- Stay up-to-date with regulatory requirements and industry standards related to technology, patient and operator safety, data privacy, and cybersecurity, ensuring compliance in all technology initiatives.
- Foster strategic partnerships and collaborations with external technology integrators, technology vendors, research institutions, and industry experts to accelerate the integration of HVS technology, leverage external expertise and stay informed about the latest advancements in surgical vision technologies.
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to internal and external stakeholders, including executive leadership, investors, and customers, through presentations, technology roadmaps, and thought leadership.
- Builds a world-class diverse and inclusive engineering team by engaging in recruitment, retention, talent acquisition and development, and mentoring.
Hypervision Surgical Ltd is a spin-out company formed from King’s College London and was founded by a team of clinicians, medical imaging and artificial intelligence (AI) experts. Based on safe light alone, our goal is to equip clinicians with advanced computer-assisted tissue analysis for improved surgical precision and patient safety.
We have developed a computational Hyperspectral Imaging (HSI) system for improved intraoperative surgical guidance. HSI is a safe optical imaging modality perfectly suited for the clinic. By splitting light into multiple wavelengths far beyond what the naked eye can see, HSI carries diagnostic information about tissue properties ideal for objective tissue characterisation. This will objectively enhance the surgeon’s ability to visualise and characterise tissue intraoperatively without injecting any toxic contrast agents. In addition, our system can monitor vital physiological tissue properties, thereby increasing surgical precision and patient safety while optimising resection.
Following successful in-patient clinical studies, we are now working on converting our patent-pending technology into a commercial medical device for surgery.
We are building our company at the intersection of surgery, machine learning and interventional image computing for optical systems to increase surgical precision and patient safety. We are backed by a highly experienced syndicate of European and American HealthTech investors, including the corporate venture arm of ZEISS, a multinational technology leader. In addition, we are supported by the British Royal Academy of Engineering, Innovate UK, NIHR (National Institute for Health Research), the Creative Destruction Lab, and King’s Health Partners MedTech Innovations to improve surgical care.
Come make an impact with us and help shape our story.
A bit about you
- Advanced degree (Ph.D., M.Sc., or equivalent) in a relevant technical field, such as computer science, optics, biomedical engineering, or a related discipline.
- Proven track record of leadership and success in driving technology strategies and initiatives within a software-defined medical device company.
- Strong technical expertise across a range of technologies, including computational biophotonics, system integration, surgical technology, software development, data analytics, computer vision, artificial intelligence, and robotics.
- Demonstrated experience in leading and managing technology teams, fostering a culture of inclusion, innovation, collaboration, and technical excellence.
- Solid understanding of the product development lifecycle, from concept ideation to commercialisation, and experience in integrating technology into medical device development processes.
- Experience with regulatory requirements and standards applicable to medical devices and healthcare technologies, including FDA regulations and cybersecurity best practices.
- Track record of medical technology transfer from R&D to production.
- Strong business acumen and strategic thinking, with the ability to align technology strategies with business goals and market needs.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with the ability to effectively convey complex technical concepts to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Passion for innovation, staying up-to-date with the latest technological advancements, and a drive to leverage technology to transform the field of surgical vision.
- Results-oriented mindset and ability to prioritise and execute multiple projects simultaneously.
- Show a strong sense of creating an inclusive environment (Bonus points if you bring a special talent, interest, new language, or unique life experience to the team)
What we offer
- We offer an opportunity to work at and shape a MedTech start-up uniquely positioned to develop next-generation technology for surgical guidance.
- Our board includes serial entrepreneurs for MedTech companies in surgery and surgical robotics, including Martin Frost CBE, Founder and former CEO of CMR Surgical – a globally recognised unicorn in the field of surgical robotics, and we are supported by highly experienced European and American HealthTech VC investors. You will work closely with thought leaders in healthcare engineering to develop and scale an early-stage MedTech start-up.
- As a King’s College London spin-out and member of the King’s MedTech ecosystem, we have key access to crucial resources for R&D and product development for surgery, including access to hospitals, a mock operating room, lab spaces, and computational facilities.
- A 2-year clinical observational neurosurgery study involving 81 patients commenced in April 2022 and an investigational clinical study involving 40 patients at 3 UK centres for laparoscopic abdominal surgery is scheduled to commence in Q3 2023: Your work will directly impact the studies we run and the product we build.
- Building on a highly multidisciplinary background (surgeons, computer scientists, mathematicians, biomedical engineers, regulatory affairs specialists, and KOLs for surgical healthcare technology) our team consists of world-leading experts in machine learning / AI for medical imaging, interventional imaging and medical devices for surgical guidance.
- We pride ourselves on an environment at the intersection between industry, academia and hospitals that cultivates curiosity, creativity and autonomy to develop innovative technologies for the patient and public benefit.
- We offer flexible working arrangements, including flexible hours and remote working.
- We are committed to growing our employees and offering equal opportunities for advancement.
To apply, send your CV and Cover Letter to [email protected]. Detail how your knowledge, skills, and abilities meet the job requirements.